To open a page in a New Window,
(Links updated August 13, 2011)
hold down your SHIFT key when clicking on a link.
The American Radio Relay League, the nation's largest organization of amateur radio operators, has a lot of information available for the prospective amateur. Find out what Amateur Radio is all about, how to get started, and where and when to take the examinations.
The Federal Communications Commission is the governing body of Amateur Radio in the United States. While the FCC doesn't have much information regarding Amateur Radio available online, the CIB Interference Handbook and CIB Telephone Interference Handbook are required reading. There's no excuse for not having a copy of the FCC Part 97 Rules and Regulations either, which is available in standard text or Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format.
One of the problems with purchasing Call Sign databases is that they are always out of date, even if you just bought it. The Call Sign databases below are updated daily and are rarely out-of-date by more than 24 hours. Also note that Buckmaster has some international call sign databases available for you DXers.
If you're an avid (or even not-so-avid) contester, check out the National Contests sponsored by the American Radio Relay League. And don't forget to sign up with the Kentucky Contest Group.
Clubs are the cornerstone of Amateur Radio that provide the glue for bonding a diverse group of Amateur Radio operators. Amateur Radio clubs are (or should be) as diverse as its individual members to help its members grow and develop new skills.
Amateur Radio is so diverse that no one individual or organization can possibly be considered an expert in all aspects of the hobby. Here's just a few personal web sites.
Learning is the key to enjoying Amateur Radio. Here's a way to learn more... and it's all for free.
Companies selling radio equipment and accessories such as cables, antennas, rotors, connectors, etc.
- Amateur Electronic Supply
- Down East Microwave (Amateur radio equipment for 50MHz and above.)
- Ham Radio Outlet (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu products and accessories.)
- Ham Station, The (Your one stop on-line source for amateur radio fun. Serving the amateur community for over 29 years, featuring the best in new and used equipment, support, new ideas, advice, and more. Ameritron, Heil, Hustler, Hygain, Kantronics, Kenwood, Icom, LDG, Larsen, M2, MFJ, MAHA, Mirage, Outbacker, Palomar, Palstar, Rohn, SGC, SuperAnt, Uniden, Vectronics, Vibroplex, W2IHY, XM, Yaesu products and accessories. A faithful participant at the Greater Louisville Hamfest. Evansville, IN)
- Hamtronics, Inc. (Commercial and Amateur VHF & UHF Radio Equipment. Providing innovative solutions for 45 years!)
- Mirage Communications Equipment (Amplifiers for 6 Meters, 2 Meters, 1.25 Meters, 70 cm, UHF, VHF and repeaters.)
- Radio City, Inc. (Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu products and accessories.)
- Timewave Technology, Inc. (HamLink items, antenna impedence analyzer, digital noise filter, multinode data controllers, antenna noise canceller, packet radio terminal node controller, RS-232 to USB conversion, PK-232 and related items.)
- Tucker Electronics (Worldwide distributor of test & measurement instruments including B+K Precision, Fluke and many more. New and reconditioned.)
- Universal Radio, Inc. (Alinco, Kenwood, Icom, Yaesu products and accessories.)
General electronics parts and accessories such as cables, components, connectors, LEDs, lamps, tubes, wire, etc.
- All Electronics Corporation (Breadboards, bridge rectifiers, cables, capacitors, choke coils, connectors, diodes, enclosures, ferrites, knobs, LCDs, LEDs, lamps, panel meters, relays, resistors and other general electronics and gadgets.)
- Allied Electronics, Inc. (General electronics parts and equipment.)
- Almost All Digital Electronics (Circuit design, homebrew and kit projects with technical support.)
- Ameritron (Amplifiers & accessories, antennas, antenna switches & tuners, relay buffers, tubes, wattmeters, etc.)
- Carrier Communications (Installation and maintainance of microwave radio systems.)
- Debco Electronics, Inc. (Cables, capacitors, connectors, crystals, enclosures, fans, fuse holers, fuses, IC sockets, inductors, integrated circuits, LCD Modules, LEDs, MOVs, power supplies, rectifiers, resistors, semiconductors, solering aids, switches, tools, torrids, wire, etc.)
- Digi-Key (Batteries, boxes, cable, cable accessories, capacitors, chokes, coils, crystals, fasteners, isolators, motors, inductors, optoelectronics, oscillators, potentiometers, power supplies, prototyping products, relays, resistors, RF/RFID, sensors, sockets, switches, test equipment, tools, transformers, etc.)
- Electronix Express (Antistatic products, batteries & holders, cable & wire, capacitors, clips, connectors, crystals, educational kits, frequency counters, fuses & holders, generators, inductors & chokes, meters, optoelectronics, oscilloscopes, plugs & jacks, probes, relays, resistors, semiconductors, spectrum analyzers, soldering/desoldering, switches, telephony & networking, test equipment, transformers, etc.)
- Tube Center, The (Supplying over 2000 different vacuum tube types, valves, grid caps, sockets and capacitors. Buy, sell and trade vacuum tubes, electron tubes, audio tubes, valves, grid caps, sockets and capacitors.)
- Radio Shack (General electronics. Stores locally.)
- Vectronics (Antennas, books, CW Products, dummy loads & accessories, electronics kits, filters, power adapters, power supplies & accessories, shortwave, SWR analyzers, tuners, wattmeters.)
- AMSAT Video News
- HamRad (Amateur Radio Resource)
- Kentucky Tourism Information
- VistaPrint (Full color printing - business cards, calendars, flyers, hats, keychains, magnets, pens, rubber stamps, signs, t-shirts, window decals and more. Upload design for printing.)
- Zazzle (Full color printing - aprons, bags, bumper stickers, business cards, calendars, hats, keychains, magnets, mousepads, mugs, postage, postcards, posters, t-shirts, stickers and more. Upload design for printing.)